Prepping for Pointe | The World From the View of Two Teenage Girls: Prepping for Pointe

Friday, November 15, 2013

Prepping for Pointe

On Wednesday, I went down to Chicago to get fitted for a new pair of pointe shoes.  (More on the Chicago adventure later).  Previously, I had gone to someone who fits shoes on her own.  She has her own method and lots of special things she has you do to help protect your feet.  Some of them are super helpful, but some are a little crazy.  She only puts people in two brands of shoes as well and that is rather annoying.  Neither really work for me so I thought it would be best to go somewhere else with more variety.  I'm pretty happy with the pair I got at the new place and hopefully I stay happy with them!

I got casting for our production on Monday and it turns out I have two parts, both en pointe.  I really was not happy.  Currently, I have two hours and fifteen minutes of pointe class each week.  When rehearsals start, that's going to change to four hours, minimum.  Pointe shoes generally die after twelve hours of use.  I'm sure you can do the math.

I'm probably going to be getting 2 new pairs of shoes soon and after prepping the pair I just got, I'm not looking forward to it!  What do I do to prep new shoes?

I have to put clear nail polish on my elastics and melt my ribbons after I cut them.

Then, I have to sew both of those on.  Pointe shoes cost $50+ and don't come with ribbon and elastics sewn own?  Correct!  You also have to purchase the ribbons and elastics separate from the shoes as they don't come with them.

Next, I form new lambs' wool pads.  Some people use toe pads, but I just like lambs' wool.  It forms to the shoes as well as your feet, though, so you have to make new ones for each new pair of shoes.

Just like heels, you gotta break them in before you start wearing them!  The shank (the hard sole) needs to be broken in some.  If not, you can't point your feet and most likely won't be able to get over the box.

If you're going to perform in a pair, chances are you're going to have to calamine them too.  This can take quite a bit of life out of the shoes as it wets them.

A lot of work for something you're only going to get twelve hours out of.  They do take around 3 hours to make, though.  Thankfully I'm not responsible for that too because that would just end badly.

Have a beautiful day!

-Cassi

Image Map

No comments:

Post a Comment